17 August 2006

The Swing-swong

This morning I woke up without a wrinkle in the sheet, as I had not moved the entire night. Mind you the entire night consisted of 3 hours, as I followed my current trend of drinking to forget. The night before I had found myself in a Karaoke bar with black walls and neon lights along the edges only, full of round men and cigarettes, and beer. This morning I didn't want to get up, what is more, I physically couldn't.

I got to work an hour later and my manager took one look at me before grabbing me by the arm and bringing me downstairs for a coffee. I am embarressed to say I just started crying - the usual, no sound, just tears and a broken smile and a crippling pain in my throat and chest. She was lovely and talked to me about things in her life, which is just what I needed, someone else to focus on.

After work I went to a new studio in Glories to record a song. Our drummer knows the guys who are finishing a project for SAE, a sound engineering and professional recording outfit, and we were to be the first to try this new studio. When I walked in I couldn't believe the place. I would pay to go on holiday there. They have the most amazing equipment and endless rooms - you could probably feed all of Africa with the money they spent on the place. Alex and Darren practically wet themselves.

Alex, by the way, is our new bassist. He is actually a friend a long time, and a producer and sound engineer, and the longer I know him the more convinced I am that he can play every instrument under the sun. He has been my drinking partner lately. I dunno why we didn't think of it before, but basically we tried him out as bassist and he is perfect. We also talked about doing some sort of covers band so that neither of us has to work in shitty jobs as opposed to playing music. We are going to see if we can do that also, with his Basque friend Eneko. I can't wait. Although it will be a while.

So anyway, Frederico and Alfredo were our engineers and we got a decent drum track down. The guys get on well with Alex, and the engineers were really respectful and changed the sounds as we asked and were good themselves anyway. They turned out to be from the Dominican Republic too (honestly, I live in the Republic of South America here in Barcelona) and I think they were nervous and relieved also when we got along.

Recording puts me in great form, and soon I was playing songs with the lads as we waited for stuff to be set up, and showing Alex the ropes. Talk about throwing someone in the deepend, but the man didn't even know the tune he was coming in to record. We played it a few times, and next thing a young lad called Santiago was at the door. Also from the Dominican Republic. "Hey, do you guys have other songs too?" he asked after a discussion with Alfredo. Do we what! Next thing I know we have managed to land recording sessions for free with this guy too. I mean, how lucky are we! I walked home a happy girl, my woes deflected.

On the way home, I stopped off at Alex's, to transfer some of my songs to his computer. We had some beers, played dodgy eighties classics like Take on Me by Aha, and Jump! by Van Halen, before I decided to call Nico. Earlier when we were playing music, I was struck by the feeling it was gonna be okay, and rather than spite myself, I decided to act. I called on Alex's phone. he answered, and my rehearsed thoughts went out the window. He answered like he knew it was me, and I didn't even have to say who it was. I didn't know if you were sick or what, I tell him, honest as ever. "I was sick all week, and now I'm working," he says, cool as a snozzcumber. "Wanna meet tomorrow though? We can meet, if it suits you?" Te parece, there it is again. I love that phrase. If you want, I tell him. He interrupts impatiently. "Okay, I'll call you between eight and nine." You'll call me? Okay, if you want.

I have a stupid grin on my face and Alex is looking at me like a proud mother. He is trying not to laugh. We have a great auld belt out of Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi before we head out. Today I have had the most amazing day ever.

To say someone is like a swing-swong, is to my knowledge an Irish expression. It means to go from one extreme to another, like a swing-swong. How fortunate for me I had the opportunity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Patrick O'Neil said...

Holidays in recording studios aren't all that grand. Last time I did one I ended up with the palest alabaster skin and I blinked every time I look at anything brighter than a cigarette lighter.

Sounds like it’s coming along though.

7:49 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home