17 September 2005

The Phantom


I came home last night after a 40 minute walk in a thunderstorm of enormous preportions. It is strange when you unlock the door to a place which used to contain two and find only the slightly musty smell of your own damp clothes mixed with the eerie light of being alone.
I started to clear up the remains of my life and a little yellow post-it caught my eye. It was a crude picture with the words "THE PHANTOM" scrawled beneath. I had to laugh.
"THE PHANTOM" started life in a working class school in Dublin´s south-east.One day in the canteen, one of the teachers lifted a cup, only to discover a tiny picture of a penis drawn with tippex, with the words "THE PHANTOM" next to it. From these humble beginnings, the phenominon exploded. Teachers would pull down screens only to see a giant phantom, walls were covered in phantoms, and he even got inside of books and on photos.
I phoned Dani today to tell him I had found 7/8 little phantoms in the flat. "Huh, that all?"he snorted. He has apparently left about 30. Hehe. I can´t wait to go home and find them all...

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

There is something wonderful about walking in the rain! How very funny about the Phantom. Thank you for reading my blog and I am glad you enjoyed my story about Ed. I am looking forward to reading more of your posts! I am glad you appreciate pigeons! How very brave of you to move to Barcelona. Do you like it?

4:25 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home